Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Mixing and spatial techniques for 5.1 surround , part of Pro Tools: Audio for Film and Video.
Once you get all of your surround routing and calibration taken care of, it's…time to put all this hard work towards creating a captivating surround mix.…In this movie, we will talk about how to approach to panning on your tracks out…of the surround speakers with some examples.…To open a surround panner, click on the small fader icon next to the Output Selector.…Here is a mono source track panning into surround surround panner.…Notice that Pro Tools defaults to have the panner pan to the center speaker.…The center speaker for surround mixing is really important.…
You can ground your mix and make all dialogue or any sound come from the…center of the screen.…You could even argue that in 5.1 mixing, the addition of the center speaker is…even more useful than the surround left and right channels.…One drawback to stereo style mixing for film or video mixes are that the…sounds you want to put in the center of the mix have to arrive there through a phantom center.…In a home stereo system, if you sit between your left and right speakers,…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.