Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Mixing with automation, part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
A good audio for video mix would be impossible without the ability to change…parameters such as volume, pan and plug- in settings with precision and accuracy.…In this movie we will explore setting up automation parameters, writing…automation in real-time and editing your automation after writing it.…Before using any automation let's go over a few basics.…The automation playlists are shown as a pull-down menu underneath the Mute, Solo…and Record buttons in your track. We can see the waveform playlist, but we also…can see the volume automation playlist, the mute automation playlist, panning…automation. So that you can toggle between those views here.…
Another really quick way to just quickly show volume automation is to click in…the track with your Selector tool and type the minus key on your qwerty…keyboard, not the minus key on your numeric keypad.…That minus key toggles you between Volume view and Waveform view, and also if…you're in any other automation playlists like pan and you type minus, it takes…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
Mixing and Mastering with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White9h 18m Intermediate
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.