Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Mastering the track with compression and limiting, part of Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B Song in Pro Tools.
Now that we have a good candidate for a final mix, I can move on to the last stage of Master…Bus Processing, adding equalization, compression, and limiting to my entire mix bus to achieve…that final polished and competitive sound.…What I'm going to do here on my Master Fader, remember I initially inserted the VCC, and…I mixed through that. Now some mixers will actually mix through their compression and…limiting during the mix process, I didn't in this case, so I'm going to approach things slightly differently.…
Know that it is okay to mix through compression and limiting and some actually have great…success with those techniques, sometimes I use those techniques, however, I do want to…point out that mixing through a limiter means you have to be very careful about how you…change and set levels throughout the mix process.…Because if you push something too hard, you may end up with 6, 7, 8 dBs of gain reduction…on your Master Fader Compressor without even knowing it, and really kind of choking out…all the dynamics of the mix.…
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix