Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Mastering delivery levels and dynamics, part of Pro Tools: Audio for Film and Video.
Let's talk a little bit about final delivery levels and how limiting plays into that.…In audio for video work, it's common for final bus compression and limiting to…occur right in your final print master session.…In this video, we'll discuss some options for preparing your mixes in terms of…dynamics and levels before you send them out into the world.…By the time you are print mastering, you should have some idea of what market…you're listening for as you mix.…Remember, you should have calibrated differently for theatrical film mix…versus a TV or broadcast mix.…That said your final mixes can usually benefit from some bus compression and…limiting before you do the final print master.…
One way to accomplish this is to put in aux track with the finishing limiter…inserted on it between your stems and your final mix print track, such as I've done here.…I've got my a dialogue bus, my effects bus and my music bus all using…multiple output destinations to go to their respective stems, print master…stems, and the final mix stem.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.