How to choose between 'sheen' and 'grit' for your electric guitar tracks via Aux Bus Treatment
- [Voiceover] Electric guitars can really…leave a mark on your mix.…They cut a huge spectral path and…that's not always a good thing.…You can think of the guitars in two different ways.…You could either make room for them,…or you can have them leave room for everything else…and here's how I looked at it on this track…Light the Fuse by the band Rumours.…I'm gonna focus you on this grouping of guitars.…It's really just two guitars…and notice their recording technique,…there's a microphone, a Sennheiser 421,…plus a Shure SM57 for each amp.…
So, right there I've got some choices to make…as far as the balance of those two guitars…are concerned, those two mics I should say,…and if we look at it here in the mix window,…it's an easier graphic to see…that I favored the Sennheisers,…which frankly is a little unusual for me.…I would tend to favor the SM57 in most cases,…it's a sound I'm more used to,…but in this mix, this darker 421,…by Sennheiser, seemed to be the ticket.…
So let's play the song, intact,…and let you get a feel for these guitars set.…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.