Many times reverbs and vocals just don’t mix, but here’s a technique that gives your vocal both depth and ambience without resorting to using a reverb.
- [Voiceover] Sometimes Reverb doesn't work…on a vocal, it just sounds too washed out.…And other times you'll find that just a mono delay…just sounds like a delay, it makes it sound too effected…and the super stereo delay trick…spreads things out, gives it kind of an edge…without it sounding like there's anything on it.…So let's have a listen to this vocal soloed…without any effect on it.…(Patricia Bahia's "The Bridge You Don't Burn" playing)…- [Voiceover] What we're going to do…is we're gonna put a different delayed time…on each side and in this case, what I've done is…I've put an eighth note delay on the left side…and I've put an eighth note triplet delay…on the right.…
Now that's kind of the key,…we're putting everything in time…making sure that there's different times…on both sides and everything is timed…to the track.…In this case it's 74 beats per minute…so what I'm doing is I'm timing everything…to 74 beats per minute…and actually Pro Tools does that quite nicely.…All you have to do is put the tempo in…and it will figure that out for you.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.