Programmed high hats have a way of making the entire song sound stiff. Here’s a way to put some realism back into that hat track when you mix.
- [Voiceover] Programmed hi-hats have a way of feeling,…well, just too programmed.…Here's a way to put some realism into that hat track.…First of all, let's listen to the track,…concentrate on the hi-hat.…(track playing)…Okay, listen to the hat by itself now.…(track playing)…It sounds like a programmed hat,…and we're going to fix it.…
We're going to make it sound a little more realistic.…So, the first thing we'll do is copy it.…Now that we have this new programmed hat,…what we're going to do is play some automation tricks,…but first, what we really need to do…is take this whole track and move it.…We're going to move everything ahead…a couple of milliseconds, which isn't very much,…but what it's going to do is help…our automation do its thing.…So, we're just going to nudge it.…
You can see we have one millisecond.…And we'll just nudge it one, two.…That's all.…You can see when we zoom in…that we're just ever so slightly ahead.…Next thing we're going to do is add an automation track.…Come down to our automation track.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.