Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Low-volume listening for a great mix balance, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] Here's a favorite trick of some…of the biggest mixers on the planet.…It's the extreme low-volume mix trick.…The idea is that you turn your mix up…fairly loud for the very first part of your mix…to be able to hear the low-end balance,…then you do the rest of your mix…at a more moderate level.…Towards the end of your mix, turn it down…to where you can just barely hear it…on the monitors, and this will enable you…to really set the very fine balances…that are obscured by louder levels.…Let me show you how to do this.…First of all, let's play this mix, and what I want you…to do is turn the level up if you're listening…on monitors, or if you're listening on headphones,…turn it up so it's fairly loud.…
Now, fairly loud means it's not so loud…that your ears burn, it makes you hurt,…but loud enough that you can hear everything,…and one of the problems that I've had in the past,…before I started to mix well, is I didn't do…this first part of the mix loud enough.…It's really important, and this is only…for the low end, you won't do it for very long.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.