Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Layering the remaining instruments, part of Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B Song in Pro Tools.
Now that I have the mix on my main instrument elements, I want to come back and fill in…the other instruments that come in during certain parts of the track. The full organ…comes in midway through the verse, and it's just going to add some additional harmonic…content at the midway point just to kind of fill that out, go ahead and listen to what…that's doing here. (music playing)…So what I want to do with that is I think I am going to give it that same movement as…the choir just not as much. (music playing)…Just to tie it back to the track.…
Now we have another organ, the Hi Organ here, I can just kind of move that next to all the other organs.…What that does is it comes in during the chorus, and it actually plays the same part as the…Dirty Organ, it's just to Double up so we can listen to that.…(music playing)…And it's just defining that melody a little bit more.…So one of the things I want to do is spread that out in a similar way with that delay,…expect what I'll do is I'll switch the sides of that HAAS effect, so it's actually you…
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix