Instructions on how to use a drum replacement technique
- [Voiceover] Replacing drum sounds is de rigueur in music…and has been for years now.…The techniques that were developed in the '80s…were very time consuming and very difficult.…But it's easy now,…and I'm going to show you a few of the tricks I use…to quickly replace drums.…Let's listen to some music first.…This is the band Rumours, formerly Max Liberty,…with the song, "Euphoria."…♫ What planet did you come from ♫…♫ 'Cause I been looking everywhere under the sun ♫…♫ And just when I began to think there's nothing there ♫…♫ You lit up the sky ♫…- [Voiceover] OK, so here's what we started with.…
This is the live drum set.…(drums)…Here's the bottom mic.…Here's the first sample.…(drum beat)…Hit the second sample.…(drum beat)…Here's a third sample.…Also creamed by Decapitator like its brother over here.…Let's listen to what that sounds like before Decapitator.…(drum beat)…Then this is the last one.…
Rather normal sounding snare here coming up.…(snare drum beat)…OK, so how did I get all of those samples in place,…and I did it rather quickly.…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.