Join Frank D. Cook for an in-depth discussion in this video How to use the exercise files, part of Pro Tools 12 Essential Training: 101.
- [Instructor] If you have access to the exercise files for this course, you can download them to your desktop. Once there you can navigate through the exercise files folder to locate the session file you're interested in. I've provided session files for you corresponding to the various videos in each of the chapters. Not all the videos will have an associated session, but if they do, you can access them from here. Drill down and double click on the .ptx file to open it. If you should be presented with a missing files dialog box, as we see here, simply click on the automatically find and relink option, if not already selected, and click okay to proceed.
Pro Tools will locate the audio files on your system within the exercise files folder that you downloaded, as long as you keep the exercise files folder intact. From here choose file save to save the session with the audio files relinked. If you don't have access to the exercise files, that's okay. I encourage you to still follow along as we go through the course. I also want to take a moment to acknowledge the band, The Pinder Brothers, who have generously provided the musical samples used in this course. For more information on the band and their music, please see the file I've provided.
So now let's get started.
AuthorFrank D. Cook
- Getting started with Pro Tools menus, windows, and edit tools
- Creating a session
- Creating a click track
- Recording audio
- Importing audio and video
- Recording, viewing, and editing MIDI data
- Selecting and navigating within tracks
- Adding markers
- Editing clips
- Creating fade effects
- Mixing tracks and adding automation
- Backing up a session
- Bouncing a mix to disk
Skill Level Beginner
Q. This course was updated on 03/23/2017. What changed?
A. Challenges and solutions were added to chapters 3–10 and three videos were updated in the first couple chapters.
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Get In the Mix with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White2h 46m Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
1. Getting to Know Pro Tools
2. Getting inside Pro Tools
3. Creating Your First Session
4. Making Your First Audio Recording
5. Importing and Working with Media in a Session
6. Making Your First MIDI Recording
7. Selecting and Navigating
8. Basic Editing Techniques
9. Basic Mixing Techniques
10. Finishing Your Work
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.