Fine points of correct phase alignment for effortless punch in all aspects of the drumkit.
- [Voiceover] So I wanna talk about phase coherence.…And the drum set is the first place I look…for phase coherence because it's…one of the few instruments remaining…that we record with a multitude of microphones…around the same instrument.…Let's listen to a little bit of this track,…Bed I Made by Allen Stone, just to get acclimated.…♫One million times inside of my mind♫…♫Oh, I have justified, baby♫…♫But all my problems still follow me♫…♫And I discovered a way to cleverly avoid the blame♫…♫But all my problems still follow me♫…That song just puts me in a good mood, I can't help it.…
So one of the first things I check,…especially if I hear something unusual,…would be to check the bottom snare mic.…Now most recording engineers have already…taken care of this for me, but that bottom snare mic…will almost always, 100 percent of the time…be out of phase with the kick drum mic…and the snare top mic.…Now this particular recording doesn't have…a bottom snare channel so I can't show you…an example of that with this song,…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.