Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video The Hank Marvin multihued delay trick, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Instructor] Hank Marvin is one of the most…influential guitar players ever with everyone…from Eric Clapton, David Gilmore, Jeff Beck,…and Neil Young crediting him with the way they play.…One of the coolest thing about Hank is the unique…delay sound he gets on instrumental hits…like Apache and Geronimo.…These come from vintage Binson Echorec…and Meazzi Echomatic multihead tape delay units.…Here's a way to simulate that smooth Hank Marvin sound.…So the first thing we need to simulate a multihead…tape delay unit is to use three different delays.…
So I have them over here on the right.…I have HM Delay 1 for Hank Marvin delay one,…HM Delay 2 for Hank Marvin delay two,…HM Delay 3 for Hank Marvin delay three,…and of course, these are mono.…So on the very first one, we're going to put…a delay time of 199 milliseconds.…And we're not going to do anything else.…There's going to be no feedback, so there'll be no repeats.…Just 199 milliseconds.…On our second delay, we're going to set this…at 353 milliseconds.…
But we're going to give it a feedback setting of 42%…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.