Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Give your vocal an awesome airy sound, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] Many pop vocals require some extra-special…fairy dust to make them special.…Here's a way to add some extra air…that makes it jump right out of the track.…So, first of all, let's listen to the track…and zero in on the lead vocal.…(bright guitar plucking, woman singing)…So that sounds pretty good, but we can make it sound…a little bit more special, and we'll do this first…by duplicating the track,…and all we want when we duplicate it,…is just the active playlist.…
OK, so, now let's soul this up,…and the first thing we're going to do…is compress it, and we're going to compress it fairly hard.…We'll just use our standard compressor here,…and a fairly fast attack time,…and a medium release time, let's see what we've got.…(woman singing)…OK, that's a lot of compression,…that's eight or nine dB,…but that's kind of what we want here.…
We want it to be a little on the squashed side.…Next thing we'll do, is we'll ad an EQ,…and we're going to boost it somewhere up in the high range,…eight, nine, 10k, and we'll give it a fair amount.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.