Sometimes the bass just doesn’t have the definition and low end that the track requires. Here’s a trick that requires an unusual plugin, but it really works well to make that bass pop out of the mix.
- [Voiceover] Sometimes you just can't get the definition…and low-end from the bass that the track requires.…Here's a trick that uses an unusual plugin…that really works well.…First of all, let's listen to the track,…concentrate on the bass and then I'm going to solo it up.…(jubilant upbeat rock music)…(bass guitar)…It sounds pretty good.…There's a good amount of high-end there…and there's a good amount of bottom,…but there's not enough in either place.…
We can enhance somewhat and for that we're going to use…a number of different plugins.…The plugins I'm going to use here you may not have,…but this particular trick will work…with any bass enhancer plugin that you have.…It's all the same process,…you look at it the same way,…and it really doesn't matter which one you use here,…but you'll find that this will make a difference…in the way your bass sounds.…So the first thing we're going to do…is duplicate our bass track…and this is sort of the secret to have two different tracks.…We're just going to play with the first original bass track…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.