Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Get that old-school delay feedback, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] Setting the number of repeats…on a typical delay plug-in is fairly easy…as they all have a feedback control.…Sometimes the old fashioned analog way sounds best, though,…and gives us a lot more flexibility as well.…Check out this trick for some cool feedback action.…So, first of all we'll listen to the lead vocal soloed…and what we're going to hear is a number of repeats…from this delay plug-in.…This is a quarter note triplet…and that gives us 310 milliseconds.…Listen to what it sounds like.…♫ This ain't no luau it's a motorway…♫ Some kind of landfill with a prostate ♫…There was only one repeat there.…
Now, if we wanted to get more repeats…we'd go down to Feedback and we'd just increase that.…♫ This ain't no luau it's a motorway…♫ Some kind of landfill with a prostate…♫ Ya ♫…What I want you to do is listen to the repeats…because their fairly bright…and this is going to make a difference here.…Just listen again.…Listen to the repeats.…♫ This ain't no luau it's a motorway…♫ Some kind of landfill with a prostate ♫…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.