Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Exporting OMF and AAF files, part of Pro Tools: Audio for Film and Video.
Using OMF and AAF files, video editors can send edited and synchronized audio…track to Pro Tools, maintaining the original track's clip in and out points,…levels, panes, and crossfades.…Audio handles can also be included, so the audio editor can still trim and add…crossfades to the audio.…For this movie, we will show how an OMF export works in Final Cut Pro, but the…concepts we see here are very similar for Avid Media Composer exporting as well.…So, here we are in our Final Cut Pro project.…The first thing we want to do is make a duplicate of the sequence, just for safety.…
So, I am going to right-click on the sequence and select Duplicate.…So, let's work off this duplicate copy as we export.…If the sequence is very long and there is a large amount of audio content,…consider cutting it into smaller sections, or reels.…OMFs have a file size limit of two gigs, so if all the media you are including…goes beyond that quota, it won't be created at all.…A good rule of thumb is to have each reel be about 20 to 25 minutes long;…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 48s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.