Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Exercise files, part of Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B Song in Pro Tools.
If you're a Premium Member of the lynda.com online training library, or if you're watching this tutorial on a DVD-ROM, you also have access to the full Pro Tool session used in this course. From the exercise files folder, you'll find a folder called Cant Stop-Clean. Inside that you will find the Cant Stop-Clean_ptx session file that is a clean mix with no plug-ins, all faders zeroed out. You also have the Pro Tool's version 7-9.ptf file of Cant Stop.
So if you're using an older version of Pro Tools, you want to open the .pdf version. If you're a Monthly Member or an Annual Member of lynda.com, you don't have access to the Pro Tools session file, but you can easily apply and use the techniques outlined in this course on your own material. Let's get started.
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix