Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Emphasizing the beat with a pumping rhythm guitar, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Instructor] Sometimes you want to feel the pulse…of the track, but the drums and base just aren't enough.…Or sometimes they're not even there.…If you have a strumming rhythm guitar,…you can use your automation to make it pump…to emphasize the beat.…So right now let's do this on our track right here,…and you'll see we have two acoustic guitars…and they're subgrouped right here.…Let's listen to the track,…and this is the beginning of the song.…♫ A special day to celebrate your life is here…♫ A special day that happens only once…- [Instructor] And we can make this a little more exciting…by pumping the rhythm guitar to the beat.…
Now what I'm going to do first is I'm going to zoom in…so you can see it.…So again we're gonna look at this track right here.…This is the subgroup and it has both of the rhythm guitars,…both of the acoustic guitars.…So, again, the first thing we're going to do…is go to touch automation, and what that means once again…is whenever we touch the fader,…the automation is going to write.…Soon as we stop touching the fader,…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.