Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Eliminate unwanted track noises like the pros, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] You may not notice some noises…that were recorded unless you solo the track,…but noises are cumulative,…and the more you have in the song,…the muddier it gets.…Here's the right way to clean up those noises…before the mix even begins.…So first of all, let's listen to this electric guitar,…and this was an overdub,…so you're going to hear all sorts of amplifier noises,…before and after the part.…(electronic hum)…(energetic electric guitar strumming)…(electronic hum)…(energetic electric guitar strumming)…So there's lots of noise there,…and what we want to do is get rid of it all.…
So what we're going to do is zoom in here,…and we're gonna come in…and just get rid of all this,…keep on zooming in,…let's see what this is, right in the beginning.…(electric guitar screech)…And what we want to do is,…sometimes there's a pick noise…that happens right before the sound,…let's see if this is it.…(electric guitar screech)…Actually we can leave that,…but here's the real trick,…make sure that you have a little bit of a fade in there,…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.