Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Dr. Pepper 1176 setting, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Universal Audio 1176 is one of the all time…best compressor limiters,…but it can be a little tricky to set up.…Here's a tried and true setting that's been used on hits for…almost 50 years called the Dr. Pepper setting.…Now the reason why it's called the Dr. Pepper setting…is because back in the 60's, the company that owned the…Dr. Pepper soft drink ran a television ad that basically…said you should drink Dr. Pepper three times a day.…At ten AM, two PM, and at four PM.…And it turns out these settings actually…work really well on 1176.…
So let's check it out.…There are a number of interesting quirks about…the 1176 that you should know about first.…For instance, the fastest attack and release time is…all the way to the right.…And this is slow on almost every other compressor.…So in other words, all the way to the right gives you…the slowest setting, but on the 1176…it gives you the fastest setting.…So this is fast release and fast attack.…And of course all the way to the left on the 1176 gives…you the slowest settings.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time