Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating fades to smooth out audio edits, part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Fades and crossfades are huge helpers we can use as we smooth over the…transitions in our dialog tracks.…But before we use any fades, let's look at our default fade preferences.…Go to Pro Tools > Preferences and in the Editing tab we have our Default Fade Settings.…Let's take a look at the Crossfade, for example.…By default, Pro Tools sets it up as an Equal Gain crossfade.…Actually, what we want to be using mostly in post-production is an Equal Power crossfade.…On an Equal Power crossfade, the midpoint attenuates 3 dBs, and we should use…this for crossing two regions that contain separate material.…
There may be a time when we use Equal Gain crossfades, but we really only want to…use them when we are cutting two sections on the same piece of audio, fading and…overlapping the same sound.…It attenuates 6 dBs at the midpoint and prevents any unwanted increase in volume at the cut.…So let's change that back to Equal Power, and we will change our fade in and our…fade out to Equal Power as well. Let me hit OK.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
Mixing and Mastering with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White9h 18m Intermediate
Creative Inspirations: Mark Mothersbaugh, Music Composerwith Mark Mothersbaugh56m 36s Appropriate for all
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.