Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management, part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
In this movie we'll address calibrating your 5.1 monitor system and how to…effectively base manage so you're hearing what your audience will hear.…We will be using the Wave 360 plug-in suite, an industry-standard tool for…software-based management.…The concept of calibrating the 5 surround monitors is very similar to the stereo…calibrations concept we learned in the stereo levels calibration video.…You still need an SPL meter set to c weighting slow response and you will play…pink noise out of each speaker to measure it.…So here we'd set our Tones track to output first on the Output.L, the first…channel, and we play the pink noise.…
(Buzzing, white noise)…And we'd use our SPL meter to calibrate the output of that speaker.…Remember, you want to calibrate at 85 dBSPL for large film style mix in a large…room, 82 for a small mixing room for a film mix, and 78 or 79 for small mixing…rooms when you're mixing for DVD, internet or broadcast.…So you're going to go through each speaker.…First you do Output Left, then Output Center.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
Mixing and Mastering with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White9h 18m Intermediate
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.