Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Bringing emotion to the mix with music tracks , part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
Music tracks are a key component to any audio for video project and part of our…three main mixing stems.…A lot of the time, music will come in as temp music from popular CDs from the picture edit.…While this provides a soundtrack to edit to, it's not always possible to get the rights.…Therefore it's called temp music.…It does, however, put us sound people in a bind, because we're left with…trying to fit music we do have the rights to in the edit originally intended…for the temp music. Here's an example.…After removing the temp score, we secured the rights to this drumbeat for…the motorcycle race.…
Let me solo the track and let's take a listen.…(drums playing)…As you can see, the intro part doesn't quite match up with the beginning of the…race, and let's even check the end to make sure it works.…(drums playing)…So this music might sound right in context, but its timing doesn't quite match up.…
So our job here as a music editor in this case is to make this music work in…time with the track.…So here are some tips to making it work.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
Mixing and Mastering with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White9h 18m Intermediate
Creative Inspirations: Mark Mothersbaugh, Music Composerwith Mark Mothersbaugh56m 36s Appropriate for all
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.