Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Automating techniques for 5.1 surround mixes, part of Pro Tools: Audio for Film and Video.
The first thing everybody wants to do when they mix in surround is to fly sounds…around the room wildly.…Once you realize that this accomplishes nothing more than making the…audience sick, you will notice that some movement for key sounds across the…surround speakers is useful.…In this movie will talk about how to use glide automation to automate a sound in…the surround channels.…Let's take a listen to this clip here.…You've got a motorcycle quickly rushing from the right of the screen to the…left of the screen.…(Zooommmm)…So we're going to want to actually automate this in surround…so it starts from kind of behind us to the right and moves across the…screen to the front-left.…
Here we're going to use glide automation to actually automate without the use of…a control-panning joystick.…Now if you have a surround-panning joystick, automating this move would be pretty easy.…You can go into Touch mode here and you could watch this scene and move it from…the rear right to the left really quickly.…But this is a really fast move.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 48s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.