Finding and exploiting the gold nuggets contained in the production
- [Voiceover] So I wanna talk a little bit today about…how you can really gain a lot of dimension out of your mix,…and I kinda just wanna play this song,…Doesn't Make You Feel Right, by Dirty Heads,…and make comments as we go along.…(hip hop music)…♫ This is for my people out there…♫ Feelin' like they're black sheep…♫ Runnin' from the wolves…♫ That are nippin' at your back feet…♫ Leather jacket, pocket knife…♫ Sfinsing in the back streets…♫ Burst into flames like a match to a gas leak…♫ Only thing that kept me back in school was art class…♫ Had a friend ♫…- So I wanna stop here.…
I'm gonna put in a couple of constants.…Obviously the drum kit is a constant.…And then the silly little general noise track,…which kind of lays a palette of noise…throughout the track that serves as kind of a bass line,…(static)…it's like a record being played.…And then, point out the amount of volume…and echo on the lead voice.…♫ This is for my people out there…♫ Feelin' like they're black sheep…♫ Runnin' from the wolves…♫ That are nippin' at your back feet…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.