Understanding the role of filtering the echo returns
- [Voiceover] So I wanna start the…subject of digital delay with my experience…as a live sound engineer, when I discovered that delays,…placed in-time and repeating two or three times…can sound just like reverb.…So if you're ever in a situation…where you wanna add depth,…and you wanna add ambiance to a mix,…but you just can't find a reverb…that doesn't muddy the track…and give you the amount of ambiance that you want,…try using in-time delays.…That'll be the last of the delay times…we talk about in this video.…
But we're gonna start with digital delay…at the closest point to the voice.…And I'm gonna show you all the different ways…I add digital delay to a vocal in a mix.…So, first I wanna play you a little bit of the song…by a young artist named Adam Yaron.…Let's start at the very beginning,…then we'll go to a spot in the song where this will be…making a lot more sense.…♫ Everywhere, everywhere…♫ when I look you are there ♫…Hear that very deep, pre-delayed reverb?…♫ Everywhere, everywhere ♫…That very deep pre-delay reverb…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.