Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding compression to the mix, part of Up and Running with Pro Tools.
- Dynamics of your audio mix…are just as important as equalization.…While EQ takes care of the spectral,…frequency based characteristics of your audio,…compression and dynamics work on that…dynamic range of your tracks.…As I've been mixing this track,…I noticed our horns are quite dynamic,…and they poke out of the mix a little bit.…Here, we'll use a compressor to tame…some of those volume spikes.…So let me find the horns track down here,…and I'll just go ahead and select it.…And I'm gonna insert a compressor.…
This is one that comes with Pro Tools called…"Dyn 3 Compressor/Limiter",…and I'll activate that plugin.…Now, because I have the clip selected…and I have loop play back,…we'll be hearing the horns repeated.…So here we go. (synthesizer music)…I'll solo the track. (horns)…So at one point, (horns)…it becomes quite loud. (horns)…Now right there, it gets really loud.…And let me just bypass the compressor for a second…and we can hear. (horns)…Right, so it really pokes out of the mix there.…
And what I wanna do here is use this compressor…
Find more tutorials on our Pro Tools page.
- Setting up Pro Tools 12
- Working with templates
- Creating a drumbeat
- Loop recording
- Editing and arranging audio and MIDI
- Adjusting tempo
- Adding EQ and compression to the mix
- Performing real-time automation
- Bussing audio
- Creating reverb and delay
- Finalizing and exporting your mix
Skill Level Beginner
Get In the Mix with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White2h 46m Intermediate
Pro Tools Mixing and Masteringwith Brian Lee White10h 32m Intermediate
1. Setting Up Pro Tools 12
2. Recording MIDI and Audio
3. Arranging and Editing
5. Finishing the Song
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.