Just because a pad track can’t be heard in the mix, it doesn’t mean it has to be boring. After all, excitement is cumulative. The more tracks that are interesting, the more interesting the mix. This technique shows just how effective adding a little bit of motion can be.
- [Voiceover] Just because Panzer uses…an almost unheard glue doesn't mean…they have to be boring.…Here's a way of adding a little bit of motion…that's both subtle and effective.…First of all let's listen to the song.…We're going to listen to this particular…pad right here.…(synthesizer music)…Now this is a mono pad.…It doesn't matter if it's stereo…'cause the same thing will happen.…Usually what we'll do here is add…a big washey reverb and that'll work.…
That'll widen it out, will make it…a little more interesting.…But we can do something to make…it more dynamically interesting.…So what we'll do is add a ping-pong delay.…I can do this as a outboard effect.…I can put this on its own group…or its own channel.…But in this case we're just going…to insert it right within the channel here.…So what I want is a really long delay.…So I'm going to Extra to Long Stereo Delay.…And a ping-pong delay basically means…that one side is twice as long as the other.…
So it will bounce from left to right…because you have whatever's on let's say…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.