Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video The 1176 British "nuke" setting, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] While the Americans were going for clean,…British engineers in the '60s and '70s…were going for big and brash.…Here's a really aggressive setting for the 1176…that is sometimes called "British mode" by some,…and others call it "nuke mode."…So first of all,…the interesting thing about the 1176,…let's take a look at it,…is that it has these four ratio buttons,…and the Americans back in the '60s…never thought about using more than one button,…but the Brits did,…and in fact there's a setting…where if you put all the buttons in,…you make this limiter sound just insane.…
So first of all,…let's have a listen to it just bypassed.…It works especially well on room mics,…so let's try it there.…(drum beat)…Now in order to get into British mode,…what we're going to do is hold the shift key down…and just press any ratio button,…and there we go.…Now have a listen.…(drum beat)…Now what's happening here is all of a sudden…the room ambiance is coming up…and it's really, really pumping along…with the rhythm of the song…and that's the interesting part here.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.