Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video A look at sound design, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- We've talked just a bit about audio throughout this…course but I want to take an opportunity…to say more here and talk just a bit about sound design.…Now when we talk about sound there are…a lot of things we mean.…Obviously, we probably think immediately of…the sound of human speech but there's so…much more than that.…There is ambient sound which is the sound of…the environment in which a scene takes place.…There are sound effects which help illustrate…various environmental or emotional…additions to the scene.…There is music.…Which helps to add emotion and…meaning to the film.…
Some of these sounds can be recorded on location.…Like the dialogue, ambient sound and…some sync sound effects.…By the way, when I say sync sound,…I'm talking about sound with the direct…correspondence with the image.…That is, it appears to be generated from what's…going on in the picture.…Like when someone is talking or singing.…(singing)…And actually, sync sound doesn't even…technically have to contain audio that originates…from the same source.…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
Documentary Editing with Premiere Prowith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Documentary Editing with Final Cut Pro X v10.1.xwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.