Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video A look at effect design, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- View Offline
- Another important part of the post-production process…that we really didn't have the opportunity to cover…very much in this course is effect design.…There are more visual effect possibilities in the…digital world than we will ever be able to cover here.…And my goal is to just get you acquainted with…some of the possibilities.…So I'll just cover some of the categories of…effects that you'll see in basic projects.…The first category is transition effects.…These are effects that simply transition from one…shot to another.…It can be simple or complex.…Biggest advice I can give you here,…especially if you're an editing newbie,…is pull back from using transition effects…beyond the basic dissolve at first.…
Hardly ever do you actually need them to help…you tell your story and in most cases,…they tend to detract from the narrative and…also tell the world that you're likely a new editor.…So use them sparingly.…Next, there's basic motion effects that allow you to…manipulate the scaling, position, crop, and…rotation of your frame.…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development