Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video What is an editor's role in the storytelling process?, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- Many say that a film has three stories.…There's the story you write or conceive.…There's the story you shoot on camera…and then there's the story that you edit.…Each of these has tremendous ramifications…on how this story is shaped…and each also contains a certain structure,…but also has a freedom in the creation process.…It's a process with a number of very important visions.…There's the writer's vision.…There's the vision of the director and the production team…and then there's the editor's vision…that's materializes in post-production.…
Each of these creative team members…takes the vision of others and uses them…to shape their own approach and ultimate vision.…Now grant it, if you're talking about documentary…or other unscripted material,…the process is a bit different,…but we'll be talking about that, too.…Now, in the forms of storytelling we talked about…in the previous movie,…oral, visual, written and performed.…None of them has quite the level of collaboration…that film making does…where writer, producer,…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.