Follow along with a digital media producer and former TV news reporter as he plans and shoots a complete human-interest story.
- Hi, I'm Jeff Sengstack, and welcome to Video Journalism Storytelling Techniques. In this course I'm going to explain how to use video to tell stories. I'm going to present this topic from the point of view of working with clients, but you can use the approaches I explain here any time you use video to tell any story. I'm going to walk you through three practical, real world examples. - Use those feet. There you go. - [Voiceover] I'm going to create stories about a rock wall-climbing gym, - Okay, what do you say? - [Voiceover] a small, boutique bakery, - This is something you we devised as a little, you know.
- Hah, - [Voiceover] And a world renowned ventriloquist puppet and animatronic maker. - Down here, this is one of our inventions. - Oh, nice. (chuckles) - [Voiceover] My goal in each case will be to create a brief story about these individuals or their products. I'm going to explain the steps I go through when working with clients including helping them understand the video production process, setting realistic expectations about what we can accomplish, and identifying the target audience and central message for each video.
Then we shift to planning mode. I show you how to create a basic story outline, shot sheet, and production plan. I explain the importance of communicating with the clients to make sure they agree to all these elements, and I choose the appropriate video, audio, and lighting gear for each shoot. Then we shoot our video. I present some basic video shooting, miking, lighting, and interview techniques. With our raw video in hand, I go over how to organize video assets, select sound bites, and create a rough cut edit, all the while keeping the client in the loop.
Finally, I present some script-writing techniques and video and audio editing tips, including working with matched action and shot sequences, and J and L audio edits. By the time we wrap things up, I think you'll be much better equipped to use video to tell stories. So let's get started with Video Journalism Storytelling Techniques.
Jeff then presents scripting techniques you can employ to ensure your story engages and entertains your audience. Finally, walk into the production studio where he explains the tools and techniques he uses to edit videos.
- Choosing the message
- Planning the production
- Selecting and using mics
- Lighting the location
- Getting visuals and audio to support the message
- Working with people to help tell the story
- Writing a good story
- Tools and tricks for editing video