While EQ, or equalization, can emphasize different aspects of a vocal range, compression can help bring up different parts of the volume or the frequencies. How do you compress voice and music tracks in Adobe Premiere Pro? Authors Richard Harrington and Cheryl Ottenritter walk you through how to add compression to voice and music audio tracks.
- While EQ can emphasize different parts of the vocal range,…compression can really help bring up different parts…of the volume or the frequencies.…And these really work together, so you can't EQ…without compressing to get the best result, can you?…- Not usually, no.…- [Man] All right, well, we've just continued working…with the same sequence here, so we're going to stay…on sequence 5.1, the one that we were just working…with doing some basic EQ.…Why don't we carve him out a little bit…so he comes through that music?…- [Woman] Exactly, so we're going to go ahead…and grab the dynamic tool that we were using before,…and bring that up.…
EQ usually comes first before dynamics.…Not always, it's subjective, just like so many other things.…But let's go ahead and bring up the dynamic,…and as I said, the compressor's auto checked,…and the auto is on, so let's take off.…- [Man] Okay.…- [Woman] And let's go ahead, and he's already looped,…let's go ahead and play that and see.…(recorded male voice speaking over music)…Go ahead and give him a ratio to 2.2,…
- Setting up your tracks in Premiere Pro
- Organizing tracks on the Timeline
- Adjusting audio levels on the Timeline
- Switching between track and clip control
- Using the Clip Mixer and Track Mixer
- Using submixes for routing and stem mixing
- Adding clip-level effects to audio clips
- EQ for male and female voices
- Removing background noise
- Compressing the master track
Skill Level Intermediate
Audition CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith Paul Murphy5h 32m Beginner
Introduction to Video Dialogue Editingwith Ashley Kennedy3h 14m Intermediate
Audio for Video: 2 Tips & Techniqueswith Jeff Jacoby28m 24s Intermediate
1. Getting Off to a Good Start
2. Adjusting Audio Levels on the Timeline
3. Mastering the Mixers
4. Essential Effects
5. EQ, Compression, and Noise Reduction in Action
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.