- [Man] If you've ever been on a film set…or if you watched the sixth course in the series,…you know that the sound recordist will always stop everyone…after the scene is wrapped…and force everybody…to just stand there quietly…so they can record something called room tone.…Room tone is just the ambient sound of the space,…basically the silence in a given area.…Though, it's not really silence.…Every space has its own unique acoustic signature.…So as annoying as it is to stop everything…for a minute on set, this is essential.…
Now, why is it essential?…Because often when you're editing,…there are gaps where you wanna stretch things out…and let them breathe a little bit…and then that leaves a little gap, a little space there.…And amateurs will often just leave those spaces…just silent or empty.…But a space where people aren't talking…is not the same thing as total silence.…Good editors understands that gaps of pure silence…interspersed with dialogue and room tone…make the scene fill stitched together.…
So we use room tone to blend these gaps…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.