Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Using a follow focus, part of Up and Running with DSLR Filmmaking.
- View Offline
Brian Liepe: A follow focus allows the operator or first assistant camera person to maintain …focus on a moving subject without touching the lens directly, which can sometimes increase …the risk of shaking the camera or lens. …The lens must be wrapped with a gear which has teeth that are of a corresponding pitch. …Now the pitch just refers to the distance between the peaks and the valleys on that gear. …You can use a grease pencil or dry erase marker to indicate points on the marking disk that …correspond with the actor's movements in the scene.…
This way you can follow the subject and pull the focus accordingly. …They're pretty cool. I like them. I use them a lot. …
This course was created and produced by Chad Perkins. We are honored to host this content in our library.
- Understanding aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- Using lenses as a tool in storytelling
- Establishing focus for video
- Achieving a shallow depth of field
- Using equipment like clapperboards and matte boxes
- Editing and color correcting footage
- Using cinematography techniques to get beautiful shots
- Avoiding rolling shutter and moiré