Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Using establishing shots, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] Another way that editors…help audiences feel comfortable…is by using establishing shots.…These are shots that establish, to the viewers,…where things are taking place.…Just like we've been talking about…in terms of spatial continuity throughout these courses,…we're giving viewers a tiny glimpse into a very big world!…As the filmmakers, we see the space…and it makes sense to us.…But audiences only have a two-dimensional representation…of what's happening, so it's easy for them…to get confused or disoriented.…
Establishing shots are a comforting reminder…of where we are.…To see the use of establishing shots in action,…look no further than The Simpsons.…When cutting from another scene to the Simpsons…inside their house, we first show an establishing shot…of their house, and then we see inside.…Now, The Simpsons have been on the air for decades.…Even if you're not a fan, you probably get…that we're in the Simpsons' house…if we cut just straight to that.…But they still use the establishing shot every time…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.