Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Using J and L cuts, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] In this chapter,…we're going to look at refining your edit,…and I can't think of a better way…to start that conversation than to look at J- and L-cuts.…Now, most new editors edit things like this,…where there's one clip, and somebody says something.…- Um, the assurance.…- [Instructor] And then we cut to the next person,…and they say their line.…- What do you see?…- [Instructor] But it creates this…really janky, choppy flow that doesn't feel organic…or natural, at all, it feels very amateurish.…
- Um, the assurance.…- What--…- [Instructor] That's just not how people talk.…It's just really weird.…Like, if you're in a conversation…with two other people, and they were talking,…you wouldn't look at one person…until they finish the sentence,…and then look at the other person,…and wait for them to talk, and then back and forth,…like that, that's just not really how things go.…So professional editors will often carry the audio over,…past the edit point, or have…it come in before the edit point,…and this is what J- and L-cuts are.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.