Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding timecode, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- Before we start editing,…we wanna have a good sense about timecode.…We wanna be really familiar with timecode.…Now most editors, I think,…have a pretty good sense about what timecode is,…you know, we see this all the time here,…we have these four little categories,…we have hours, divided by these colons,…hours, minutes, seconds, and then frame.…Now, each frame has its own unique timecode,…which means that each frame kind of has like…its own unique ID number.…So we might get the timecode numbers from a DP,…or from a producer, saying look at this section,…it says timecode, it comes in real handy.…
Now as you can see from the name of this file here,…this is a proxy file.…And a lot of times when you make a proxy files,…if you're not careful, and I didn't really care…because this is for this training,…but what happens is it will wipe away the time code,…so when it first starts here,…this timecode will be zero zero zero zero zero,…but when you're actually recording real footage,…it usually uses an internal clock of the camera,…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.