Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the similarities among all editing applications, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- I teach and use all three major editing platforms;…Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X,…and Avid Media Composer.…I've created courses in each of these softwares…on the lynda.com online training library…and I use each of these in my own projects all the time.…People always ask me, "Which one should I learn?"…And I always say, "Learn them all."…I know that's easier said than done…and you certainly can't master them all overnight.…But if you're serious about the art of editing,…then you should know that above all,…it's about the story-telling.…
So the learn tools that can help you do that well.…Okay, so you already know that we're gonna be working…in Adobe Premiere Pro in this course,…but I wanna be clear;…the editing techniques that we cover…are just the very tip of the iceberg.…You will need to learn more to be proficient.…So, my advice as you start out,…take the lynda.com Essential Training courses…for each editing software that you intend to learn.…Then, edit.…You'll need plenty of practice,…so find some low stakes projects to edit…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Intermediate
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.