Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the script, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Instructor] As an editor, you are a storyteller.…It's not just about making sequences and showing footage,…that's the easy part.…An editor really crafts the best possible story…from all the footage available.…In this tutorial, we're going to look at…how to understand a screenplay…and how to use the script as a guide when you edit.…If you've watched course number two…in this series on writing,…a lot of this will be familiar to you,…but I still think it's worth checking out.…Now, it's essential that editors understand…the basic elements of story structure,…character development,…including how we feel about characters,…and how to control the tone of the film.…
So, if you're not familiar with those things,…please go back and check out course number two.…Learning about storytelling will,…ironically, make you a better editor…than a software-based course on video editing.…So, when I edit I like to use the screenplay as a blueprint…for how to assemble a scene.…Now, I realize as the editor I can rearrange…and cut stuff as I see fit,…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.