Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding photography, part of Up and Running with DSLR Filmmaking.
- View Offline
Chad Perkins: Before we get into issues specific to DSLR cameras we need to first talk about the basics of photography, which are also the basics of cinematography. Brian Liepe: The three fundamental concepts we are going to cover in this chapter are aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Each of these work together to achieve proper exposure or brightness level. Chad Perkins: With each of these three attributes there are pros and cons, and as we go throughout this chapter we are going to learn what each of those things are and how to balance those, how to balance those trade offs to adjust exposure.
Brian Liepe: Learning to balance aperture, shutter speed and ISO is really where you get to become an artist when working with your DSLR. Let's dig a little bit deeper into these three fundamental concepts.
This course was created and produced by Chad Perkins. We are honored to host this content in our library.
- Understanding aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- Using lenses as a tool in storytelling
- Establishing focus for video
- Achieving a shallow depth of field
- Using equipment like clapperboards and matte boxes
- Editing and color correcting footage
- Using cinematography techniques to get beautiful shots
- Avoiding rolling shutter and moiré