Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding differences between track-based editing vs. storyline-based editing, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- In this movie, we're going to talk a bit about…some of the main differences that exist between…the different editing software.…I want to talk about how Adobe Premiere Pro…and Avid Media Composer are different…from Final Cut Pro X in one crucial area…of the software: the timeline.…This is of course the space where you assemble your show…and there are a couple of different approaches…to the timeline model that I want to mention.…For the 25-plus years since non-linear editing applications…have been around, most of them have been…classic track-based programs.…
This simply means that you assemble clips together…to create sequences on a series of video and audio tracks.…In this model, video clips must reside on video tracks…and audio clips must reside on audio tracks…and most of the elements within the track-based timeline…are independent, so if you move a shot around,…the other video and audio elements in the timeline…remain where they're at. Again, this is how most…editing applications have always worked, and still work,…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.