Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding complexity editing, part of Introduction to Video Editing.
- In the previous movie,…we talked about how to make edits…as invisible as possible through…following the rules of continuity editing.…Now let's talk about taking some creative license…and breaking some of the rules…through the art of complexity editing.…With complexity editing, we're able…to use editing tools that allow us to show things…like the passage of time and the combination of ideas.…Often, complexity editing results…in unsettling the viewer or intensifying the action.…Let's take a look.…There are several types of compelexity editing…and one type that you're probably…fairly familiar with is montage.…
When you create a montage, you edit many shots together.…Usually the most essential points within each shot.…And usually against music or voiceover.…The best use of montage is to show…a change over time or a spectrum of ideas or emotions.…And the idea is that when these shots come together,…they create a new meaning.…So when you watch montage, your brain…literally creates a new whole from the sum of the parts.…
- Exploring an editor's role in storytelling
- Understanding film grammar
- Learning when to follow and when to break editing "rules"
- Exploring shot and lens movement, as well as timing and pacing
- Getting to know video editing software
- Editing narrative scenes
- Editing documentaries
- Looking at the role of sound design, effects, and color correction
- Next steps for training and development
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Premiere Pro: Documentary Editingwith Jason Osder3h 48m Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Documentary Editingwith Diana Weynand2h 56m Intermediate
1. Exploring Story
What is story?2m 47s
2. The Grammar of Editing
3. Exploring Nonlinear Editing Applications
4. Editing a Short Narrative Scene
5. Editing a Short Documentary
6. Understanding Additional Post-Production Processes
Next steps2m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.