Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding ISO, part of Up and Running with DSLR Filmmaking.
- View Offline
Brian Liepe: ISO is a numerical scale that refers to the sensitivity of a camera's sensor to light. …Now ISO is based on something called the exposure index, which rates film stocks using a numerical value. …As you lower the ISO setting, the sensor becomes less sensitive to light. …As you raise the ISO setting, it becomes more sensitive. …Chad Perkins: Personally I get a little scared adjusting ISO anymore than just a few increments. …When you increase the camera's sensor sensitivity to light by bumping up the ISO, it adds noise, …which can be awful.…
So in the next movie we'll look a little bit more about how ISO relates to noise and also …to the colors of your image. …
This course was created and produced by Chad Perkins. We are honored to host this content in our library.
- Understanding aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- Using lenses as a tool in storytelling
- Establishing focus for video
- Achieving a shallow depth of field
- Using equipment like clapperboards and matte boxes
- Editing and color correcting footage
- Using cinematography techniques to get beautiful shots
- Avoiding rolling shutter and moiré