Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Trade-offs with ISO adjustment, part of Up and Running with DSLR Filmmaking.
- View Offline
Chad Perkins: In my mind, adjusting the ISO is just a really dangerous thing to do, or …at least increasing the ISO is, and the reason why is because as you increase the ISO, you're …making the sensor more sensitive to light which sounds good and it has its benefits, …but also creates a much more noisy image. …Brian Liepe: DSLR noise is super ugly. It moves poorly. It's got wonky colors. It's not …monochromatic and it's just best to avoid it if at all possible.…
And later on in this training we'll look at some ways that you can decrease the amount …of noise in your footage through some post-effects. …But again, let's just try to avoid it when we're shooting. …Chad Perkins: Now another thing that happens when you raise the ISO is that the colors …become less saturated and just off a little bit. …And because of the extreme compression that DSLR files go through, there is really not …that much you can do about it in post. …Brian Liepe: So if you are pressed for light in a certain situation and you do crank up …
This course was created and produced by Chad Perkins. We are honored to host this content in our library.
- Understanding aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- Using lenses as a tool in storytelling
- Establishing focus for video
- Achieving a shallow depth of field
- Using equipment like clapperboards and matte boxes
- Editing and color correcting footage
- Using cinematography techniques to get beautiful shots
- Avoiding rolling shutter and moiré