Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Telling stories with edits, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- In this tutorial we're going to learn…about the power that editors have…when telling stories.…As we'll see in more detail…in the next tutorial,…film editors initially weren't thought of…as storytellers.…They got footage and put it together…like a jigsaw puzzle.…It was a science, not an art.…And a lot of amateur filmmakers still…see editing like this.…Like editing is basically just…putting the pieces back together.…But it's so much more than that!…As we go throughout this course,…my hope is that you will have a newfound appreciation…for the art and craft of film editing.…Editors are storytellers, first and foremost.…
But how do editors tell stories?…There's actually lot's of ways!…First and foremost is that edits create relationships.…We talked about this earlier with…the Kuleshov experiment and we'll talk about…this a lot more in this course.…But, look at this shot from "King Solomon's Mines".…There's a cheetah outside of a tent…and there's a shot of a woman panicking.…Now when this actress was filmed,…they didn't need to actually get the cheetah…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.