Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting the right take, part of Creating a Short Film: 08 Editing.
- [Narrator] In this chapter we're going to look…at some basic concepts that will help you…when you're editing, and in this specific tutorial…we're going to look at how to know which take…to choose as you're going through them.…Now to do that, we're going to be looking…at several takes of the sixth scene,…and we're gonna analyze what went wrong in each take.…Well, not each of the twenty takes, but in a lot of them.…So, this first one, the very first take,…I was kind of having a tough time here,…I was on the ground with my slider,…and I was having to slide the camera,…and tilt up at the right time,…and keep everybody framed well,…so it wasn't just sliding but it was tilting,…and panning, and sliding.…
And also I had to rack focus…from the sick boy here, to the pregnant woman.…So the first take, and a few of the others,…I wasn't super keen on that,…and you can see here that the pregnant woman…is completely out of focus,…her elbow looks like it's a little bit sharper,…but her face is completely out of focus, so;…moving on to the second take.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.