- [Narrator] As an editor you absolutely must…make peace with the fact that you will be cutting out…important things from a film.…Things that mean a lot to the director…or that cost everyone tons of time and money.…But your job is to not care about that at all.…You have to be a guardian of the story first and foremost.…On the assurance, a model friend of mine Kelsey Tiger…volunteered to come to this Japanese garden…and get this footage.…And we had to schedule and cancel a few times…because the leaves had to be just right…and we had a very tight window…before the blossoms were gone.…
Kelsey had to awkwardly change…into this complicated wardrobe in a public park bathroom.…It was a long walk to this spot…from the entrance to the garden…and she didn't get paid anything, we filmed it on a hot day,…but I really wanted this shot…to show how the world used to be beautiful and abundant.…However in the re-edit we had to cut that scene…and also that entire story line out.…There was no place in our tightened,…more compact story for beauty and abundance.…
- Telling stories with edits
- Syncing audio and video
- Matching eyelines
- Knowing when not to cut
- Controlling the pacing
- Controlling emotion with shot size
- Working with audio
- Creating a rough cut
- Creating end credits
- Rendering and output
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 01 Producingwith Chad Perkins1h 6m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematographywith Chad Perkins4h 44m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 10 VFX Effectswith Chad Perkins4h 51m Intermediate
1. Understanding Film Editing
2. Preparing to Edit
3. In the Beginning
4. Editing Basics
5. The Art of Editing
6. Working with Audio
7. Refining the Edit
8. Creating End Credits
9. Editing The Assurance
10. Exporting to Other Processes
11. Rendering and Output
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.